It’s Friday!!! Yay! Why is it that short weeks always seem so long??
One of my favorite things about summer – sitting outside with friends sipping on a summer cocktail. That’s why today’s Friday Favorites are some summer adult beverages I can’t wait to try! These are not my recipes. They are just a few pages I’ve come across on the interwebs. Most of these I found on Pinterest. Yes another day of shameless plugging for my Pinterest page. (After all, besides fashion, food & drink is the only thing I really pin ) Cheers!!
Skinny Girl Sangria via Linda Wagner – Nutrition to Invigorate Mind, Body & Spirit
- 1-2 bottles of crisp white wine, I used 1 bottle Sauvignon Blanc and 1 bottle of sparkling Vino Verde
- 2 ripe local peaches, sliced
- 1 pint raspberries
- 2 kiwis
- several sprigs of mint
- Stevia (It’s a natural sweetener)
Just add the sliced fruit and mint to the wine and add several squirts of the sweetener as desired.
Cherry Beer Margaritas via theblondcook.com
- (1) 12 ounce can frozen limeade concentrate
- 12 ounces cherry flavored soda
- (1) 12 ounce bottle of your favorite beer (I used Corona Light)
- 12 ounces of your favorite tequila
- Kosher salt, for rimming glass
- Lime for garnish
- Cherries for garnish
- Rub lime wedge around rim of each glass; dip in kosher salt.
- In a large pitcher, mix all ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Serve over ice (if desired) & garnish with a lime wedge & cherry.
-A couple sprigs of mint
-4 oz cold sparkling wine or lemon flavored sparkling mineral water
-2 oz Limoncello liqueur, cold
-Put the raspberries on a plate; separated from each other and place in the freezer at least 15 minutes before serving time
-Gently ‘smush’ a couple of small mint leaves and add to each glass along with 5-6 of the frozen raspberry ice cubes.
-Add limoncello, then the sparkling wine or water.
Basil-Thai Sangria from Amanda Lyndon & Gabriel Frasca on FoodandWine.com
- 12 thin orange slices, for garnish
- 8 Thai basil sprigs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon, peeled in 3-inch strips
- 3/4 cup brandy
- Chilled club soda
- 2 bottles chilled Pinot Grigio
- Zest of 1 orange, peeled in 3-inch strips
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice, strained
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the basil sprigs and lemon and orange zests. Let the syrup stand, stirring often, until cooled to room temperature, about 20 minutes. Discard the basil sprigs and zest strips.
- In a large pitcher, combine the basil syrup with the wine, brandy and orange juice. Pour the sangria into ice-filled glasses, top with club soda and garnish each drink with an orange slice.
Is there a more quintisential sign of summer than popsicles?? Why not give ‘em a little kick for an adult version of the seasonal treat.
Watermelon & Blackberry “Poptails”
20 oz. watermelon (1/2 a small watermelon)
3 oz. blackberries (7-9 regular sized berries; not the giant obscene ones that are the size of a thumb)
4 oz. limeade
4 oz. tequila
2 oz. triple sec
Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until well blended. Pour mixture into popsicle wells.
Cover top of popsicle form with foil and cut a tiny hole in the center of each well. Place popsicle stick through the hole.
Place in freezer until frozen. To release popsicles, run hot water over outside of mold for 2-3 seconds.
I hope you all have a fantastic weekend! Tonight, I’m heading to my 10 year law school reunion. I maintain that I was a child genius rather than I’m old enough to be a decade out of law school. And tomorrow I’m heading up to Philly to see my cousin Julia who is graduating from Drexel with an MFA in design. So proud of her and can’t wait to see her collection. Check back Monday for a recap of the show!